Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday Treasures: Alice For Izzy


Tuesday Treasures are the bookish distractions that catch my eye in the school library I work in on Tuesday. I'm not the librarian; I am the speech pathologist.

The library moved into my classroom due to flooding but I'm not complaining. This little old school library collection is chock full of wonderful treasures. Plus, I get to release my inner-librarian. The students who wander in looking for books assume I am the Tuesday Librarian. Can't blame them since my nose is always in a book!

To welcome Izzy as a contributor to Mrs. BG's Cozy Book Nook, here are some photos of the 1960 edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass that I found in the school library. I haven't read Alice in years so I enjoyed glancing through this book.

The forward was very informative regarding the impact of Alice on children's literature and the changing educational system of the day when it was first published.
Also, it explained that the illustrator, John Tenniel, was a political cartoonist for Punch magazine. Apparently, the mere fact he was chosen as illustrator subtly let readers of that era in on aspects of political satire in the book.

I realise this is old news to Izzy and all the other Alice aficionados but I thought it was interesting.


Tenniel's illustrations are amazing! How cool that Disney kept the integrity of Tenniel's art in their movie.







Izzy... thank you for blogging along with us. I know you are busy with school so I appreciate that you are willing to include Mrs. BG in your schedule. Feel free to post anytime. Three perspectives are much more interesting than two perspectives!


4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    This feature reminds me of the time I worked in my uni library. =) I found new books to check out all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for welcoming me and Alice. We feel loved here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. En--- I'll bet! Did you enjoy working in the library? I know I would but it would take me forever to shelve books...

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I really loved it! In retrospect, I think it's also a good thing that I worked in a library rather than in a bookstore! ;-)

    While I envy people who work with books all day, I imagine the effects on my pocketbook would be disastrous if I had their jobs today.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...