Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Funny Holiday Reading


Not funny, hahah. Funny, peculiar. 


The need to read was intense but an odd mental block kept me from starting a new book.  My Mt. Everest sized TBR pile is extremely eclectic so there is no lack of variety to suit any mood.  I even felt anticipation so why couldn't I settle? 


Not one to shy from self-analysis, I figured it out. For one thing, my brain was awhirl with all the possibilities of 2011: personal reading goals,  official reading challenges and readalongs.  Being a predominantly serendipitous reader, so much planning threw me a bit out of whack.  I couldn't possibly begin any new books till finished thinking or after January 1 whichever came first.


Also, it was the holiday. It wouldn't do to fall into the void with a new book right in the middle of all the festivities!

Can you guess what I did? Yes, reread, of course.  Rereading is a common occurance for me-- not because of  frequent mental blocks-- just because it brings so much pleasure and new insights gained from life experiences. 

 Of course, sometimes it is just pure dee old comfort reading.  Finishing the whole book isn't even necessary-- sometimes a few pages or a favorite chapter will do-- cozy, familiar and interesting but not so absorbing that one can't come back to the real world at a moments notice.


My first reread:

Yep, good old Harry! I haven't seen the new movie yet and even told Enbrethiliel that I was a bit burnt on Potter. Guess I was wrong.  This pick is definitely inspired by E's recent posts on rereading  the series.

After reading about five chapters during a few teatime breaks, I started over-- Now, it is my little boy's bedtime book. If you ever need a distraction for an overwrought five year old on Christmas night, Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone is the ticket. 

My second reread:

What can I say? The  movie on tv ensnared me-- guess I got off lucky, I just caught the battle of Helm's Deep-- but the glory and heroics get me every time and then, of course, I start to ponder the inconsistencies in the movie. The elves did not join the battle and  I only meant to confirm that fact but ended up rereading all of  part 3 which is the first half of The Two Towers.

This part of LOTR never fails to move me: the death of Boromir, the race across Rohan, the return of Gandalf, casting out Wormtongue, the battle at Helm's Deep, the anger of  Fangorn Forest,  a reunion of old friends and the lessening of Sarumen. Truly, it is enough to make a girl swoon! Well, maybe a weird girl. I do wonder sometimes if I was a petite amazon or warrior princess in a past life.

My holiday reading was immensely satisfying. I feel refreshed and ready to leap headlong into a wonderful  new year of reading and rereading.  

Did you reread an old favorite or a brand spanking new book during the holidays?

7 comments:

  1. I always want to reread but feel guilty doing so when there are so many new books out there I also want to read. I should let myself reread more often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a re-reader but I certainly can't argue with your choices - two of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't re-read much either. With one exception, I can't think of a time I did and that was Gone with the Wind, but it was the hoop skirts! I couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are off to a great start! I plan on re-reading at least one book this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    My holiday reading tends to be a mix of rereads and new reads. In general, I'm a big fan of rereading. I once ran into a woman who said she never did it on principle--and even gave any purchased books away after finishing them, to make sure she never would--because it would mean taking time away from all the other books in the world that she could be reading for the first time instead. And I thought that was the craziest thing . . . but live and let read, aye?

    As you know--heck, as you so kindly mentioned in this very post--I did a Rowling reread over Christmas. Reread the first five and then the last two for the first time. Well, I'm not finished with HP7 yet; I'm right in the middle as I type this!

    And there's something about Lent, particularly Holy Week, that puts me in the mood for J.R.R. Tolkien. I'll be revisiting Middle-earth in March or April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, if have a hankering to reread, do it. Don't feel guilty-- it is very rewarding-- and if it has been several years since you reread the book, it will seem almost new. Like I mentioned in the post, new insights are very interesting-- and I find it very interesting to compare my younger self with my older self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E: she sounds very intense-- Maybe she is a type A personality and thinks reading is a competition and she must read every book to win or else!! People differences are fascinating, aren't they.

    Can't wait for your Middle-earth reread! I may even participate in Locus Focus-- there is one Middle-earth locale that I'd dearly love to do. It is one that is rarely mentioned but it is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...