Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (6)

Welcome to the sixth edition of Bargain Book Bonanza!



BBB is a linky party to showcase all the great books (new, used, vintage, electronic, audio) that we book lovers score on sale.


Each Monday through Thursday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!


Want to join the party? Just visit the Bargain Book Bonanza page for the particulars.




DeLynne is hosting this week!


Trips to the big city are rare for me, but even more special because they don't happen often. They involve a two hour train trip each way, which is a great opportunity to sit and read.

Last time I went I found I had nothing to read for the trip home, so whilst racing to the train I ducked into a book store.

Almost a year ago, Miss Shirley, an
Off the Beaten Page reader on Heron Island, talked to me about Agatha Christie's complete short story collection. She said they were too short for her taste. I wasn't sure if the same would apply to Sir Doyle's collection, but decided to take a punt on them anyway.


I was really happy with my purchase. It cost $6.50, which is nothing to crow about when some of us are posting about free or 25 cent books. However, with the price of new books in Australia this is a bargain. And I got lots of enjoyment from it.

On the train I ran into some of my students, and was able to chat occasionally in between stories. It was also great by my bedside for weeks, where I would read one story before lights out.

This counts as a bargain in my book, but I have some even cheaper ones to post about someday soon.


Can't wait to see everyone's Bargain Book Bonanzas!

BBB is linking up to Mailbox Monday hosted this month by Passages to the Past.  Welcome Mailbox Monday visitors!  Are there bargains in your mailbox?  If so, you are invited to join Bargain Book Bonanza to show them off. The more bargains the merrier!  



9 comments:

  1. Hi DeLynne, good for you! I haven't read any of those, and you think that I would have by now. I'll keep my eyes open for the one you have.

    Thanks for hostessing. Please tell Lesa hello.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good deal if it took care of a train ride and allowed you to read it over weeks!
    I can't put a book down in the middle of a story, so short stories are a good way to get around that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of the book but will check out. Thanks for the info and hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Agatha Christie's short stories but not the ones featuring Sherlock Holmes. Must remedy that. Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    Hey, a bargain is a bargain! And this one sounds like you got your money's worth and then some. =)

    Last week, I wrote about a bargain book that turned out to be a dud. The silver lining was that at least I didn't have to pay full price for it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoyed your read.

    stop and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like reading shortstories before bed too-- but I usually end up reading 3 or 4 and going to bed too late!

    I've bought several bargain used anthologies lately but have yet to read them or post them on BBB. Wonder why so many are turning up?

    Guess what? One is a book of Agatha Christie shortstories-- hope I like them better than Miss Shirley. (I've bought several used mysteries-- your mystery posts have made me want to dabble)

    Last wkend, I checked out a fairy tale book and victorian ghost stories from the library. E and her horror posts have been reawakening my old love of spooky things.

    I have tons of TBR books but I am way to unduly influenced by other bookworms!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...