Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (9): Big Books

Welcome to Bargain Book Bonanza!

A book haul linky party for bargain loving bookworms!



BBB is the place to showcase all the great books (new, used, vintage, electronic, audio) that you have scored on sale.

Each Monday through Thursday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!

Want to join the party? Just visit the Bargain Book Bonanza page for the particulars.


Leslie is hosting this week!

So let me say that I usually do not buy books. I am more of a library gal. But if they are classics, a reference I will reference, or an old favorite...then I will indulge.

So. Being inspired, as usual, by Lesa and her bargain books from Goodwill, I made a concerted effort to check them out when I got a chance. 

I have two that I frequent. And either local Goodwill donators keep their "good" books (or don't read much), OR local Goodwill shoppers snatch up the good books really quickly! I rarely find anything!

But this week I hit the BO-NANZA!


 
I found two Calvin and Hobbes books. Lucas (10 years old) had been bugging me for some C&H for awhile now. About 75 cents each.

And a "Magic Schoolbus" and a "Word Girl" book for Nico (6 years old). They looked like they'd never even been opened! Word Girl even had an intact sticker sheet! About 50 cents each.

But the two that I was most excited about are the ones in the back:
1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die and The Handbook of Good English. (Should that be Well English?)




Anyway, the Paintings one is really neato, because it shows the paintings and gives a description of the paintings and some history or the circumstances of the painting. So I can sound smart as new paint.


And even though I talk good, I got the English Handbook - just in case I get invited to a Royal wedding or something (Ok, I just have to say - that wedding was such fun to see! I loved reading all the details and seeing the pics. Do we ever grow up?).

Anyway, (snooty accent) I actually purchased the item to improve my grammah. No. Truthfully, I'd like to teach my kiddos proper English. There are times when it does make a difference in life!


So, how much did I pay? Well...the Handbook was marked $3.99. Good. The Paintings was not marked. I took it to the front and asked. "Well, that's a big book. Books that are big are usually $3.99."


Ah. So, I got me some little books and I got me some big books. And I spent under $12.00. Not bad, my dears, not bad at all!


So, what bargain books did you get this week? And please speak properly. I can check your grammar now...




5 comments:

  1. Calvin & Hobbes is a great way to learn vocabulary (check it out!) painlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is a good idea. I was flipping thru them today and laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie ... great scores! You cracked me up about what the cashier said. The time before last when I went to St. Vinnies, the "helper" lady was overcharging me right and left, but she didn't even know it. I finally gave up, because it was 1/2 off day and I bought 50 yards of lace for $7.50, so I figured it all evened out and went for a good cause.

    Have a wonderful week, everybody!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Kathy! That's funny. Good thing you were happy to help a good cause!
    Fifty yards of lace?? Wow! I envy your craftiness. I am not at all creative and those that are impress me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! A Goodwill haul! Goodwills are not equal in the book dept that is for sure. I've only had luck at my one particular store.

    That thar art book looks cool-- don't need me no grammar book-- I talk real good!!

    hahah--- I don't think my Goodwill prices by book size--- What did the sign read? Big Books $3.99 Little Books .50 Book size is subjective...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...