Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Monday, August 1, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (19): Value Pack!

Welcome to Bargain Book Bonanza!


A book haul linky party for bargain loving bookworms!

 



BBB is the place to showcase all the great books (new, used, vintage, electronic, audio) that you have scored on sale.


Each Monday through Thursday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!


Want to join the party? Just visit the Bargain Book Bonanza page for the particulars.


Leslie is hosting this week!


I am sure Lesa thought I wasn't going to post today! But I would never (or at least not much) disappoint Lesa. Disappoint my parents? High school counselor? My friends and neighbors? Suuuuure...but not Lesa!

So, what goodies did I get? Well, I can't quite compete with a certain person, who shall remain nameless. I've tried, but I can't compete. But I think I done good.

So. First off, I am a second hand store junkie. I love to go into places like Goodwill and see what they have. Here in Houston we have another chain called Value Village. Doesn't that just sound earthy? Or tacky. Whichever. People have definite ideas about these things.

Well, I could go on about the bargains I have found there over the years. But the truth is that since this recession hit, it has become quite the rage to hit second hand stores. So, consequently the prices have been raised on everything from bicycles to jeans ($17 for a rusty kids bike with flat tires? Uh, no thanks. $8 or more for Old Navy jeans with holey hems? Yeah, I'm passing that up.).

What is funny...haha...you book lovers are gonna love this...what's funny is that the price of books here has gone down. Yes. It's true. Great for me, but what does that say about our current state of affairs?

"Leslie, please stay on task and tell us your BBB. I am really getting tired of your little ramblings and tirades."

Ok, ok, suh-aaarrrreee! A little testy, aren't we? Maybe you should take a page from my book (heh heh, get it? Book? Page? We're a book blog? Do I need to spell it out for you? Ok. Ok. You got it. FINE!) and try a leeeetle bit of wine. Oh yes. I am drinking some vino. And, look at me...re. laxed. ville. (Barefoot wines. Delish, btw)


"AHEM. PLEASE GET ON WITH IT."

Oooookaaay.

So I was browsing at my Value Vill-AJ and found a few neato books.


1. A 2009 version of Ripley's Believe It or Not (for Lucas) $.50
2. Go, Dog, Go (for Nico now, Nina later) $.50
3. Dos Pies Suben, Dos Pies Bajan (Nico and Nina) $.25
4. Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (Lucas for fluff, but really to get Nico interested in reading) $.25

The grand total? $1.50, BUT I had a coupon (oh yes, I did) for 50% off. So, it was $.75! For FOUR books!
 

I, of course did not have 75 cents.

So I had to buy a pin to be able to use my debit card. It was originally $8.00, but I only paid $4.00. Which you are NOT interested in. Although the pin is pretty. Maybe it is "vintage"? Who knows. I wore it the other day and no one complimented me on it. Just goes to show they have no taste. And while I am talking about it.....(muttering to herself)....


If you have a bargain book, please share. We love to brag on bargains!
  
Please leave the link to your BBB post. Say howdy, mingle and have fun!


...and then she tells me that I have big hips. I mean I was pregnant for cryin' out loud! Like I needed to hear that!

Oh. Sorry. I forgot where I was. Yes. Books are good.

And so, once again:
  
If you have a bargain book, please share. We love to brag on bargains!
  

7 comments:

  1. Cute books! I love your tipsy BBB! So funny! And I had absolute faith in you-- I didn't even start a draft BBB last night.

    A coupon for Value Village-- that kills me!

    Kudos for demonstating the 'spend money to save money' technique of bargain hunting to perfection!

    And I'm wondering about the state of affairs to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! They send these coupons out every few months in the mail and I call all of my non-Value Village friends and beg them for their coupons...it's sad really.

    Anyway, it is fun to be able to buy AS MANY BOOKS AS I WANT because they are so cheap! I just didn't have too much time to go through all of them this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul :) Especially because it's only .75! LOL. Oh and I just have to say, Barefoot Moscato is definitely yummy! Tastes like sparkling apple cider for some reason haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jillian - it IS! All their wines I've tried are good. But we took the Moscato to the outdoor theater here, with cheese and crackers and fruit...it was so good! I want to get their Bubbly Moscato next time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    I know I could never compete with Lesa, either, so what I do is link up underwhelming BBB posts that don't even try. =P

    That's interesting about the prices in bargain stores going up for everything except books. I have a friend who likes to dabble in economic theory; I wonder what explanation he'd have for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about this, E.
    People are downsizing. They need their clothes, even in a smaller home. But do they need books? Maybe their is an overabundance of books as people clear out their stuff?
    Not sure, but the Half Price bookstore has gone UP. They are buying books from people, and being very selective.
    So I don't know.
    Guess we are back to square one.
    Where's my wine?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...