Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wishlist Wednesday: Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey

Guess what I spotted in a GoodReads email? 

My wish book for this week! 

It is the latest in the fun Five Hundred Kingdoms Series by Mercedes Lackey. 


The eldest daughter is often doomed in fairy tales. But Bella—Isabella Beauchamps, daughter of a wealthy merchant—vows to escape the usual pitfalls.

Anxious to avoid the Traditional path, Bella dons a red cloak and ventures into the forbidden forest to consult with "Granny," the local wisewoman.

But on the way home she's attacked by a wolf—who turns out to be a cursed nobleman! Secluded in his castle, Bella is torn between her family and this strange man who creates marvelous inventions and makes her laugh; when he isn't howling at the moon.




Have you read any Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms? 
 
In this series, the characters are usually trying to avoid the powerful pull of Tradition or shape it to improve their lot. Tampering with Tradition can cause big trouble so Godmothers must find ways for 'Tradition' to be satisfied while ensuring the safety and happiness of all... even if it is in very unexpected ways.  
 
If you like quirky fairy tale retellings, you are in for a treat. 


Photobucket

Please visit Pen to Paper to see more Wishlist Wednesday offerings.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this 500 kingdoms series before now. Sounds really interesting! Would it surprise you to learn that I've never read a fairy tale re-make?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks like a lot of fun (as most fairy tale re-tellings are)

    PS. I think that I may have seen this on NetGalley.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Risa: I am surprised! If you enjoy reading all the old versions of fairytales then I bet you'll like new retellings too.

    Gosh, you must read Ella Enchanted and.. my mind is blank but there are tons out there. Even literary versions like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

    Five Hundred Kingdoms is fun and the first in the series is The Fairy Godmother. Let me know if you read any retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa: Thanks for visiting. Yes, I think this will be a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to get an ARC of this to review from Netgalley. It sounds a really good book :D I hope you manage to get a copy soon.

    Jenny - My Wishlist Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds enchanting!
    I am blog hopping & following you from Katherine's Corner. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/. Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am a new GFC & Networked Blogs follower from Katherine's Corner.
    http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/
    Hope you can drop by, say hello and follow back, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of the book. I love fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...